Here are two more pictures of the neck from the previous post after all of the finish spraying was done.
I shaved the neck heel so that the neck would attach to the body at the proper angle (what we normally call doing a "neck reset"), got everything mated up nicely, and glued the neck back on. Unfortunately, at that point I realized I had made a beginner mistake. While I had the neck off (since the very beginning of rebuilding this instrument) I never once checked to make sure that the truss rod worked properly. As soon as I started trying to turn the adjuster nut, it sheared right off of the rod.
That's how, in less than 3 hours, I glued a neck onto a guitar and ended up taking it right back off.
![]() |
| holes drilled to steam the neck off... again... |
![]() |
| neck with broken truss rod, new truss rod, and removed fingerboard |
![]() |
| fingerboard being glued back onto the neck after truss rod replacement |






Being a luthier is basically one of the coolest jobs I can think of, and it's awesome that you're doing it! I love all the pictures you include with your posts, it's so cool to see the progress. Next time I need work done on my bass I know who to go to :)
ReplyDelete